Wajiha Shireen, Ph.D.
Office Location: 331 T2
Dr. Shireen is currently a Professor in the Department of Engineering Technology at the University of Houston's College of Technology. She joined the University of Houston as an Assistant Professor in 1993. She also holds a joint appointment in the UH Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. She has served as PI of several external research grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF), Department of Energy (DOE), California Energy Commission, Center Point Energy and Texas Instruments Inc. Her interests are in Power Electronics, Power Quality, DSP-based control for motor drives, power supplies and alternate energy systems.
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 1987
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1991
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1993
- Alternate Energy Sources
- Power Converter Circuits
- Power Distribution and Transmission Systems
- Power Systems Control
- Digital Circuits and Systems
- Electric Circuits
- Power Quality Issues: Design & development of Active Power Filters
- DSP-based control for utility interactive inverters and ac motor drives
- Converters for Distributed Energy Sources: Fuel Cells, Solar/Wind Energy Systems
Honors and Awards
- Featured as a leading Researcher and Educator in Engineering Technology, in an article published in the Journal of Engineering Technology, 2001.
- College of Technology Outstanding Faculty Award for Research in 1998 and 2006
- U.S. Patent 6,313,602 B1, 2001.
- W. Shireen and Adarsh Nagarajan, "Grid connected residential photovoltaic energy systems with plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) as energy storage", published in the 2010 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting Proceedings.
- W. Shireen and Sonal Patel, "Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles in the smart grid environment", published in the 2010 IEEE Power Engineering Transmission and Distribution Conference Proceedings.
- E. Barbieri, F. Attarzadeh, R. Pascali, W. Shireen, and W. Fitzgibbon, "On B.S.E and B.S.ET for the Engineering Profession", Journal of Engineering Technology (Invited Paper), Spring 2010, pp.42-46.
- E. Barbieri, W. Shireen, W. Fitzgibbon et. al., "CDIO-based 2-year common templates for ECE/ECET and for ME/MET", AC 2009-2026, ASEE Conference Proceedings 2009, ETD Division. (Nominated for best paper)
- W. Shireen, Li Tao, "A DSP-based Active Power Filter for low voltage power distribution systems", Electric Power Systems Research Journal 2008, Vol. 78/9 pp 1561-1567.
- W. Shireen, H. R. Nene, "DSP-based Control for Reliable Fuel Cell power Systems with Input Ripple Current Compensation", 2008 Power and Energy Society General Meeting – Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, 20 - 24 July, 2008, pp. 1-4.
- W.Shireen and Sara McNeil, "A Modern DSP-based Laboratory for Power Electronics Education’, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference Proceedings, 2008.
- W. Shireen, S. Vanapalli, H. R. Nene, "DSP-based inverter control for alternate energy systems", Journal of Power Sources, v 166, n 2, Apr 15, 2007, p 445-449
- W. Shireen and H. R. Nene, "Control and Design Aspects of Power Electronics Converters using PSpice", Journal of Advanced Technology for Learning, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2006.
- W. Shireen, R. Kulkarni, and M. Arefeen, "Analysis and Minimization of input ripple current in PWM Inverters for designing reliable fuel cell power systems", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 156, Issue 2. p 448-454, June 2006.
- W. Shireen, Srinivas Vanapalli, H. R. Nene, "A DSP based Utility Interactive Inverter for Alternate Energy Systems", APEC, v 2006, Twenty-First Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, APEC '06, 2006, p 1099-1103.
- W. Shireen, H. R. Nene, "Active Filtering of Input Ripple Current to Obtain Efficient and Reliable Power from Fuel Cell Sources", IEEE-INTELEC'06. The 28th International Telecommunications Energy Conference (IEEE Cat. No.06CH37806), 2006, 6 pp.
- W. Shireen, R. Kulkarni, "Using MATLAB for Harmonic Assessment of Three Phase PWM Inverters", International Journal on Modern Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 2, Spring 2005
- W. Shireen and R. Kulkarni, "DSP based Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation (SVPWM) control for AC Motor Drives", accepted for publication in Computers in Education Journal, 2005
- W. Shireen and M. Arefeen, "Controlling multiple motors utilizing a single DSP Controller", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Jan. 2003, Vol 18, No. 1, pp 124-130
- Analysis of PHEV in a smart grid environment. CenterPoint Energy $124,000 2009-2011
- A Reliable Low Cost Power Electronics Interface for Renewable Energy Systems Using a Single DSP Controller. California Energy Commission $83,210 2008-2009
- Development of a Modern DSP-based Laboratory for Power Electronics Education. National Science Foundation (NSF) $73,996 2005-2007